Get a FREE 'Woolly Socks + Messy Locks' Candle with all orders over £35

Candle Care

When you first open your Olfactiv candle, it is important that you read the care card included inside of the carton, as well as the safety instructions on the base of your candle.

How you burn and treat your candle, ultimately affects how it performs. Treat it well, and it will love you back.

Yes, there really is a science to burning a candle. Us candle makers often hear myths about ‘what makes a good candle’, but in reality, it’s more about how users treat and burn their candle that makes all the difference. So to become the ultimate candle connoisseur, read our tips below and you’ll always get the best out of yours…

How to Burn +
Care for your Candle

BEFORE & DURING BURNS

TRIM THE WICK BEFORE EACH BURN
Always trim the wick to 5mm before each burn – this extends the life of your candle, prevents smoking & sooting, and ensures that the flame won’t grow too tall – either causing a fire hazard or overheating the glass. On some occasions, if your wick is too long, the flame may look like it’s starting to die – a quick trim will bring it back to life.

BURN NO LONGER THAN 3 HOURS
Burn for 3 hours at a time, or until a full melt pool has been reached, but never longer than 4 hours. Burning for long periods of time, especially the further down it burns, may cause the container to overheat and potentially explode.

However, burning for too short a period of time, will lead to tunneling – where the candle burns straight down the middle, leaving a thick rim of wax around the sides of the glass.

TALL FLAMES, FLICKERING OR SMOKING
If your flame is too high, is flickering or producing smoke, it indicates that the wick needs to be trimmed. Simple extinguish the flame, trim it and relight. Ensure that there is no debris left on/in the candle before relighting.

WHEN TO SAY GOODBYE
Be sure to stop burning your candle when 10mm of wax remains at the bottom of the container. Burning too low can cause the glass to over heat and crack. We know it’s easy to want to get every last bit out of your candle, but for your safety, we advise to play it safe..

KEEP FREE FROM DEBRIS
Always ensure that the melt pool is free from debris, wick trimmings and matches, as this can act as a secondary wick and possibly cause a fire hazard.

AFTER BURNING

HOW TO EXTINGUISH THE FLAME
Never blow out a candle. Doing this may cause wax to splash out of the vessel, or cause the wick to tilt or move. Instead, use a candle snuffer to safely extinguish the flame and save your gorgeous counter tops from getting damaged.

RECENTRE THE WICK
If, for any reason, the wick has moved while burning or extinguishing, simply recenter it after it has been put out. If the wick migrates too close to the side of the glass, it will cause overheating and weaken your glass. Further burning may cause your vessel to crack.

STORING YOUR CANDLE
When your candle is not in use, store it in a cool, dry place. Never leave your candle in direct sunlight, as this may cause discolouring and may affect the fragrance.